Monday, September 13, 2010

Money For Nothing

There is an auction house in town that holds mid century modern auctions every couple of months.
My mom babysits and we make a day of it with our friends, Mike and Joey.
We've gotten some awesome deals and we usually make out like bandits.
Plus it's super fun (and a little nerve-wracking) to throw your hand up in the air with your number card to bid!
We have fun guessing what things will sell for
and checking out who's buying what.
You can tell a lot about a person from the things they purchase.
Especially things they work hard to outbid someone else on.
Take this item for example:
I feel weird even posting this picture - 
and that's after I added the Conch Shell!
Now, I'm no art expert but....
(Mike is a graduate of The Ringling College of Art and Design and his mouth was agape in shock and horror from the moment he saw this piece. Who better to judge art than an artist, right?)
what is up with this painting?? 
Maybe it's the wide-eyed look of the guy, maybe it's the awkward placement of the arms, maybe it's the bizarre head on the bird - is that a bird?
And to top it off there were 3 of these things - different subjects 
but all nudes.
And would you believe that each one sold for over $200!!!
To three different buyers!!!
I'm still laughing about it.
But anyway, to each his own. 

Now on to my thrilling purchase:
I got this mod pendant lamp. I love it!
It was in a lot of two identical lamps but I only needed one.
Fortunately, Joey and I have similar taste and he wanted the other one.
We bid for the lot and split the cost - win/win!
Good friends, cool crap to buy, and watching people make interesting purchases - what a day!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I hope you're talking about the pendant lamp, Kat! heh heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I was talking about the lamp! Haha.

    ReplyDelete