Saturday, August 7, 2010

Time To Pretend

A little known fact is that we used to be clowns.

I always loved the circus and would have run away with a circus
if I had ever been given the chance.
But they never offered.
(what happened to the days when kids were offered chances like that??)
Luckily, when we moved to Massachusetts
we moved right next door to a clown.
A REAL clown.
He had graduated from clown college and toured with Ringling Bros. He was the town's resident clown but would also put on major corporate events all over New England. His office was magical and he was enchanting (still is.)
He appreciated my passion and took to making me into
his little clown assistant.
I learned how to do my make-up, make balloon animals, paint faces,
and do card tricks.

I was in full clown make-up when I found out my grandfather was dying. He told me, "Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and your make-up runs. Such is the life of a clown."

I recruited Mark and we set off working birthday parties and large events
put on by our friend.
It was one of the best times of my life. Time to pretend.

I met the clowns who were still on tour. Some had families. They traveled the world and lived in trailers with elephants outside their doors.
They were amazing people.

I should have run away as a kid - offer or not.

"This is our decision, to live fast and die young.
We've got the vision, now let's have some fun.
Yeah, it's overwhelming, but what else can we do.
Get jobs in offices, and wake up for the morning commute.

Forget about our mothers and our friends
We're fated to pretend
To pretend
We're fated to pretend
To pretend

I'll miss the playgrounds and the animals and digging up worms
I'll miss the comfort of my mother and the weight of the world
I'll miss my sister, miss my father, miss my dog and my home
Yeah, I'll miss the boredom and the freedom and the time spent alone"
--MGMT

No comments:

Post a Comment