Monday, February 15, 2010

Golden Slumbers

My baby put herself to sleep this afternoon. No Mommy required.
I'm pretty heartbroken.
Rio tends to move herself through the stages quite nicely and therefore I have never felt the need to push her into any new endeavor (e.g. losing the pacifier.) But this. I wasn't ready for this.

I have always rocked her to sleep. Cuddled up, read a couple of books, and kiss my sleeping baby on the forehead as I put her into her crib.

Occasionally, she wasn't ready to sleep. Occasionally, she would climb off my lap and play with her toys for a while longer. But eventually, she'd come back into my lap and snuggle her way to sleep.

Lately, she has been more restless. I would put her in her crib for a little while to have some quiet time to herself. I would watch the monitor until she cried out for me. I would return only if she was upset.

Only today, she never became upset. Never whimpered for me. She just laid down, tossed and turned for a while, and then....silence.

My heart quivered and I felt like I lost something.

I know I can't rock her forever...I just thought it would last until another baby entered our lives. Until circumstance forced a change.

Not growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment