Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Catch The Wind

I need to buy a kite.
I just hope I can simultaneously watch the sky and my velocity girl. There's something so fascinating about trying to capture the wind. I hope Rio finds it just as captivating as I do.

There is a book written by Dave Eggers called You Shall Know Our Velocity. It's a great read about a couple of guys traveling the world in an attempt to give away $32,000. But at one point in the story they discuss movement. They talk about an ancient culture that viewed the soul as the bearer of everything that has come before you. The soul is not light but heavy - like a mountain. Herein lies the problem: how do you move when you are weighted down?

These ancient people were fascinated with the sky. They wanted to fly. They began jumping and running in hopes that they would evolve to become people of the sky.

Eventually, others discovered them and waged war in an effort to take over the land. But they never felt as if they owned the land to begin with. So they ran.
After all, there were other places to experience.

But they left a message for anyone who came after them:
YOU SHALL KNOW OUR VELOCITY!

That's us...
when we try to catch the wind.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous you got to go to the beach. I'm so glad you had a goot day though! These pictures are adorable. What a sweet little face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, fellow south Florida mom. I too have been anxiously awaiting a trip to the beach. I am happy you got to enjoy the day with your sweet little one. She is precious!!!

    ReplyDelete